Sunday, April 24, 2016

On Reddit.

Last night I was awake at around 3am. That isn’t an unusual occurrence. I’ve always been a night owl. I was at an amazing party, and by party I mean “alone in my dorm on reddit”. I love reddit. It’s the frontage of the internet, a perfect place for finding the best content of any sub-genre, no matter how oddly specific, and for starting interesting discussions. 

What makes Reddit so amazing is that it’s democratic. Quality content is voted to the top where more and more people can see it, and bad content gets voted away and disappears into the ether. 


Back to last night. It was 3am and I came across an interesting post. It was focused on someone asking for advice, but the issue at hand was pretty complicated. I gave my two cents, which turned out to be about eight paragraphs. I found it interesting that, so late into the night, someone as lazy as myself, who doesn’t particularly enjoy writing, put in the time and effort to give my opinion to a complete stranger. But the fact that did such a thing is the reason reddit is so successful. Reddit just hosts content, it doesn’t create it. It’s users do that. It speaks volumes to how simply enabling people to work together brings out the best in them when it isn’t a requirement. This is something that is achieved by having the internet be available to everyone; and that’s a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment