Friday, April 29, 2016

Surviving without my laptop

My laptop is my baby. I don’t anywhere without it. Every class and lecture, overtime I got hang out with friends, certainly every vacation and trip. How could I abandon my machine. What if I get a great project idea and have the urge to code for 12 hours straight (yes, that happens). What if I just get really board? My computer is the difference between me being fully engaged, productive and in the zone, and me being completely lost. About a year ago, I went a full day without my laptop. I’d like to say I did this as an experiment, to prove to myself that I could, but if I’m being honest, I left it in my girlfriends car. 

I survived, somehow. I find it fascinating how much we’re all dependent on our machines (admittedly, some more than others).  I spend upwards of 15 hours on my laptop per day, and I know that puts me at the end of the bell curve. But, don’t most people spend at least a couple of hours on their computer, and another number of hours on their phone? And a few on the TV? It all adds up. A few generations ago, this wasn’t true at all. 


While technology is extremely helpful and revolutionary, its important to remember that there is life outside that gorgeous 15” retina display. I’m trying to work on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment